Sometimes people would like to attempt to settle their own case without hiring a lawyer after being involved in an auto accident. Although it is possible to settle your own case without hiring a lawyer, there are many factors that lawyers take into consideration in investigating a case and whether it is appropriate to settle. Some of the factors that a Temple Terrace personal injury lawyer can take into account before settling a case include:
1. Have you received the correct liability insurance disclosure of all available insurance coverage that includes any potential excess or umbrella coverage?
2. Whether there is any other liable party who may share in responsibility for the negligent acts leading up to the occurrence.
3. Does the client have different types of coverage on his or her own insurance policy that would pay for some of the medical bills or allow for a settlement. If the client does have available coverage that would provide another avenue of recovery for the client, are there any notice requirements or conditions precedent that need to be complied with before settling with another party so as not to void the coverage?
4. When hiring an attorney to represent you in your personal injury case, an attorney’s work does not stop at obtaining the settlement. Instead, the attorney has to perform additional work to evaluate the validity of outstanding medical bills and whether those medical bills should or should not be paid from any settlement proceeds. Further, the attorney will evaluate the validity of liens that may be asserted against the settlement proceeds and work to resolve those liens.
5. An attorney will also evaluate what are the time limitations that govern notice, performance and when to file a lawsuit for the different types of insurance coverages and personal injury claims.
It is important to have a full understanding of all of the above considerations to navigate some of the landmines involved in personal injury cases and avoid the pit falls. If you have questions, please contact us to speak with one of our Temple Terrace personal injury lawyers.